Tuesday, January 1, 2013

"But we had a New Year's Day LAST year!"

New Year's Day is a time for resolutions.  


Sure, you can promise yourself that you'll exercise more, eat less, and generally become a better person.

And on or about January 3rd, you stop fooling yourself and return to normal.

This year, however, make a promise to yourself to be the writer you always tell yourself that you are.



"If it is to be, it's up to me."


If you have ideas that you keep losing, carry a notebook so you can write them down.

Don't just talk about your writing, start writing even if it means taking a short lunch, getting up early in the morning or staying up a little later at night.

If you start writing something, finish it.

When you finish a piece, send it to someone to read, whether it's a friend, a relative, a spouse, or just someone whose opinion matters to you. 

If someone cares to give you feedback on your story, ponder it carefully to see if you need to take it with a grain of salt, a spoonful of sugar, or to heart.

Remember that part of the craft of writing is REwriting.  Like Football, you run the play until you get it right.

Study your market.  Keep your eye peeled for opportunities and if there aren't any, don't waste your time so you can give your attention to someone who is looking for you and your work.

Network and share your wisdom.  The person you help today could become a friend and a little gratitude goes a long way sometimes.

If you send out your work and it comes back, learn from the experience and send it out again.

If you are tired of having your writing come back, consider publishing it yourself.

Start thinking of yourself as a WRITER because you are WRITING and WORKING to put it before other people.

And never give up.


Sometimes, you include graphics just because they're cool.  Who am I to buck a trend?


Your comments here and via e-mail are welcome and encouraged.  I read everything, even if I have to move my lips.

Want to subscribe to this blog so it comes to you via your e-mail?  Sign up in the upper right hand corner of this blog and your wishes shall be made real.  Also, if reading this on your Kindle would give your life meaning, then you can subscribe here.
Visit the Freelance Words website for your writing needs.  To read my creative resume to show you I can do the work, I make it easy ... see?

In December, expect news about our first Kindle publication and tell your costuming friends to keep an eye out for it.  We'll also have announcements and other insane ramblings on our Facebook page (give us a LIKE while you're there, if you would, please) or on Twitter as @BrianKMorris.  You'll be glad you did.  Trust us.  Have I ever lied to you and gotten caught?

It's the start of yet another year.  I will admit that 2012 was not one of my favorite years, mostly because of forces beyond my control (like I'm the only one, right?).  But I'm delighted that I started this blog because I've made some great new friends, exchanged lots of sweet ideas, torqued off a couple of people who might have needed it, and I've learned a lot about myself and our craft in the process.

May 2013 be YOUR year. I plan to make it mine.

Until next time, be good to yourself, be good to each other, and stay creative!

2 comments:

  1. I MUST find decals to pimp out my Kitchenaid mixer like that.

    Happy 2013 Brian!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got THAT right! Of course, I start thinking about a Wonder Woman mixer ... then a Captain Marvel one, a Superman model, and pretty soon, I'm collecting mixers (good luck finding a bag and a back for those, right?).

    And happiest 2013 New Year's hugs to you, Patricia! :)

    ReplyDelete