Saturday, April 21, 2012

"I can't find time to write ... "

We're all busy.  It's easy to feel like our day is filled 26 hours a day, eight days a week.  "Overwhelmed" is our usual mode.

However, if there was a movie you wanted to see or someone you wanted to visit, you'd make the time, right?

Why can't we find the time to write?  Why isn't the drive strong enough to make the time to put words to paper?  Aren't there stories waiting to be fleshed out, to be made real?

The time is there.  In my case, finding the extra time in a day means waking up an hour earlier or going to bed a little later at night.  Sometimes, it means wolfing down my lunch like I was still a college student moving between classes.  At other times, it entails spending the remainder of my lunch hour on my laptop.  Or it might be jotting down notes while waiting for the movie to start or the bus to arrive.

If someone was going to hand you the winning Lotto ticket next Tuesday at 10:15 a.m. if you just showed up, you'd take pains to get there, wouldn't you?  If your dream is to write, professionally or otherwise, why aren't you making the time to do so?

2 comments:

  1. I'm writing. I write for me. Most may think it's trash but I know there is meaning there and that's what counts.

    As I read this again, I understand what you mean, taking the time to write a letter. I have forgotten that lost art myself a few times. Maybe this is the kick in the pen to get me to send one....

    I didn't know you blog. Now I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I haven't really spread the word. It will happen.

    And as long as you WRITE, I think you earn the right to call yourself a writer. Too many people do little more than think about it, which I plan to address in a future installment.

    ReplyDelete