Thursday, May 3, 2012

"Why did you start a blog, Brian?"

Figures I'd ask during the third week of it, right?  It's the secret of comedy ... TIMING!

Anyway, I'm frequently asked for writing advice since over the years because I've written a lot of stuff.  Most of it's been while working for The Man (occasionally, The Woman).  But during those years, I've learned how to write a multitude of things such as business plans, copy for ads (print, TV, radio), podcasts, audio fiction, scripts for the stage, comic books, television, and I'm closing in on completing my first screenplay.  I've also conducted interviews, written reviews, executed research for other writers, and performed interview transcripts for magazines, books, and DVD commentary specials. 

Except for the different formats, it's all words.

How do all these words get put together?   It's a combination of inspiration, desperation, determination, and forcing the fingertips onto the keys.

It helps that I haven't had Writer's Block since the Spring of 1970.  What I don't have is the time and energy to do all the stories inside me.  I refuse to wait for my muse to find me.  Instead, I'd rather hunt her down, kick her door down, and pull my next story from her (but in a respectful, life-affirming way, of course).

Eventually, I'd like to share not only my thoughts on writing in all media, but also samples of what I do.  I'm also working on a collection of short stories.  Eventually, this stuff will wind up in book form.  However, you can read the stuff early.  I also welcome your comments.  We could both learn something that way, you know.

If you have any questions, I'd love to toss them out for discussion.  And if you have any suggestions for me, I'd welcome your input.

So let's read about writing.  However, it's not always just an adventure ... sometimes, it's a job.

Speaking of which, if you need my services, check out http://linkd.in/H7vJst for my resume and a profile that I worked hard to make pretty.  Btw, I can help you do that too.  Just letting you know ...

No comments:

Post a Comment